Tips for Motorcycle Brake Maintenance- Reviews
"Maintain the most important part of your bike!"
If we talk about a motorcycle's most critical and foundational safety feature, everyone would agree about the braking mechanism. So, by daily repairs, it is very important to still keep it fit. Both the front and rear brakes operate separately on bikes, which makes them less difficult than a vehicle for check-up and operation.
Many of today's luxury bikes have a front disc brake, although most commuters also have front and rear drum style brakes. Both types of systems run distinctly, so a particular form of maintenance is required for both. So, here we have the tips to keep the braking mechanism fit and perfect.
Drum Brakes are a kind of internal expanding brakes, the most common type of braking mechanism. There are two major components of the device that require a lot of attention: Brake Wire and Brake Shoe Liners.
1) We need to cut the braking wire from the wheel first, open the brake drum cover and pull out the brake shoes.
2) The next move is to carefully inspect for wear on the brake shoe liner. To measure the thickness of the brake liner, which should be at least more than 1mm, you should use a scale.
3) If the width of the lining is less than 1 mm, the worn brake shoes need to be replaced with a brand new pair. We suggest you to adjust them for improved braking efficiency, even if the thickness is less than 1.6 mm.
4) Generally, brake drums appear to collect dust and other foreign contaminants, which can decrease the effectiveness of braking. So, you've got to scrub it as well.
5) Now, close the brake drum carefully, assemble the rotor, attach the brake wire and verify the braking efficiency.
6) Using pressure exerted on the brake lever, you can check the wear on the brake cable. You will have to replace the brake wire if the lever is too close and takes more than average power.
Since a powerful bike needs improved braking efficiency, it comes fitted with disc brakes that are a little difficult to manage. There are several sections, aside from the disc orientation, that can be operated and serviced by self-contained braking fluid and brake pads. So, here are the repair measures for the disc brakes.
1) For the correct level, evaluate the brake fluid in the tank.
2) Open the bottle, if found to be low, and top up the brake fluid to the correct level. Using a new pack of brake fluid at all times, as it continues to collect moisture over a period of time.
3) When filling up the brake fluid, be careful and do not let it spill on the body of the vehicle as it will damage the paint.
- Tags :
- Bike Tips